request for configure clarifications on darwin10

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Sep 16 07:16:48 PDT 2009

On Sep 16, 2009, at 10:05 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:
>    Well it may be an extreme case but the current Portfile
> for gcc44 suffers from this problem

ok

>    The most common case that I could imagine otherwise
> would be software that uses configure to make either
> settings to the Makefile for compiler flags or options
> based on the detected target in use or more likely
> cases when configure selects files of code with
> hard coded assembly language that are architecture
> dependent. We ran into a few of those in fink when
> codecs, etc would have architecture specific assembly
> files selected based on configure's understanding
> of the exact architecture being built.

... so relatively few ports, then?

It seems then, that no change to base is required, but it's something
to keep in mind for ports which have assembly files.

Fortunately, you've got a solution pushed upstream to configure, so
eventually most projects will have picked up those changes and even
these special case ports won't need additional attention (just like
how some ports needed attention for libtool vs glibtool when darwin
was fairly new, but don't anymore).

--
Daniel J. Luke