configure.build_arch

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Wed Sep 16 13:50:21 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:17:49PM +0200, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Jack Howarth wrote:
>> does that make more sense?
>
> Not really (don't think I'd change --build but --target),
> but then again Fink (or RPM) can do stuff their way...
> It is my understanding that neither Apple nor MacPorts
> is going to change the way they do arch/uname/config.
>
> And I think cross-compilation is neat when compiling to
> MinGW (Windows) or to Linux, but probably overkill just
> for building some 64-bit binaries for regular Mac OS X -
> whether they are thin/1 or fat/2 or obese/4 binaries ?
>
> --anders

Anders,
   My goal is just to try to keep the logic of the configure
machinary as sane as possible for Snow Leopard so that we
can co-exist better with the upstream projects. All too often
we get dismissed as 'weird' darwin because of linker oddities, etc.
like the bug in Snow Leopard's linker where symbols from
static libraries, created with 'ranlib -c' to contain
common symbol tables, aren't properly ignored when linking
against other code which has the same symbols (as a unix
linker should). Removing the duplicate code was one of
the patches to my proposed fixed gcc44 package (and has
already been checked into gcc trunk and gcc 4.4 branch
for 4.4.2).
                     Jack