PPC / i386 universal building

Toby Peterson toby at macports.org
Wed Sep 16 19:01:33 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 18:54, Michael_google gmail_Gersten
<keybounce at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Toby Peterson <toby at macports.org> wrote:
>> Ok, your situation is special because you're trying to build universal
>> *and* you're on ppc. That's a pretty doomed combination. Building
>> i386/ppc universal on ppc is quite unlikely to work for many ports.
>
> Prior to snow leopard, universal included ppc/i386 building. Those of
> us still on 10.5 will still need this.
>
> If 1.8 is unable to reliably build universal on ppc, then is there a
> way to go back to the earlier version (1.7.xx), or is the port tree
> and port program tied together such that 1.7 won't work anymore?
>
> More to the point, is there any way to build ppc/i386 universal apps?
> 10.6 won't produce these at all, as I understand it; will 10.5 on x86
> hardware produce ppc/i386 universals with the current macports?

The problem isn't related to the version of Mac OS X or MacPorts -
it's actually because of the number of ports using the "muniversal"
group. This causes ports to try building each section independently,
thus making it rather difficult to correctly build for architectures
your machine cannot execute.

- Toby