configure.build_arch

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Sep 17 00:33:56 PDT 2009

Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

>> We set the triplets back when we were (ab)using +universal
>> to do cross-compilation, with the three universal_ flags:
>>
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2008-February/
>> 004358.html
>>
>> It never worked very well, so in MacPorts 1.8.0 it was all
>> ripped out in favor of the much simpler build_arch solution...
>
> Is this why NCursesW fails? At all related to Glib?

Not really, you should still be able to do +universal builds
(i386/ppc) on Tiger and Leopard without doing cross-compilation.
If "possible" that is, some software requires that host tools
are run during the build and thus require Rosetta to do so...

It was the "real" cross-compilation, like building for Tiger
(10.4u SDK) on Leopard, or for Panther (ppc) on Tiger (i386) ?
Using +universal to build "fat" binaries for either ppc+i386
or i386+x86_64 works bad enough without crossing OS boundaries.

Sometimes the cure is indeed a lot worse than the disease...

"Doctor, it hurts when I am using MacPorts to build Universal."

--anders