how many tcl/tk's in 1.8.0?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Thu Sep 17 06:05:21 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:52:33PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2009, at 22:41, Jack Howarth wrote:
>
>>   I ported the sparky 3.115 NMR assignment program
>> using the same build approach from fink (where I
>> maintained the package). I am unclear on whether I
>> need to code the Portfile to support more than just
>> builds against tcl/tk 8.5 (which is what MacPorts
>> 1.8.0 installed on my Snow Leopard box). Looking
>> at the MacPorts database, it appears that only a
>> single tcl/tk is available (8.5). Is that correct?
>
> Yes. When 8.5 first came out there was some software that needed 8.4 and
> we thought about making tcl84 and tk84 ports but the software in
> question ended up being upgraded to be 8.5-compatible so we dispensed
> with it and kept just the 8.5 version.

Fine by me. On fink, the transition from tcl 8.4 to 8.5 has
never happened for i386 or powerpc fink but only on x86_64.
FYI, I was helping them debug an issue with the fink blt
package on tcltk 8.5 yesterday. It looks like the same issue
as http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15095. The proper fix
backported from Fedora 12 is added to the ticket...

http://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/15095/blt2.4z-noexactversion.patch

For 64-bit compatibility, the blt package also needs to use
the Fedora 12 patch added here...

http://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/15095/blt2.4z-patch-64

I added the last to tbe blt package I maintained in fink and found
the first one yesterday in current Fedora rawhide. FYI.
                        Jack