dscl

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Sep 17 18:44:26 PDT 2009

Hello, I am working on trying to make a change to a port that does not
have user and group adding abilities, but it probably should.  At this
point, I need to confirm this by adding a user and group by hand,
using dscl in Mac OS X 10.5

I took this from some old docs on dovecot:
sudo dscl . -create /Groups/_ftpg
sudo dscl . -create /Groups/_ftpg UniqueID 490
sudo dscl . -create /Users/_ftpu
sudo dscl . -create /Users/_ftpu UserShell /usr/bin/false
sudo dscl . -create /Users/_ftpu RealName "PureFTPd FTP Server"
sudo dscl . -create /Users/_ftpu UniqueID 490
sudo dscl . -create /Users/_ftpu PrimaryGroupID 490
sudo dscl . -create /Users/_ftpu NFSHomeDirectory /var/empty

This sort of works.  In this case, the ftpd has a flag to "auto create
home dirs", which I have enabled.  I have told the ftpd to use user
and group 490.  On first ftp login, it will create the directory I
tell it to:

drwxr-x---  2 _ftpu   490     68 Sep 17 18:42 someplace

As you can see, there is something wrong with the group.
$sudo chgrp _ftpg someplace/
drwxr-x---  2 _ftpu   nobody   68 Sep 17 18:42 someplace

I think what I would really like to do is also create a user and group
more like www and mysql, where they have both the _foo and foo
version, but I can not figure this out.
$dscl . -read /Users/_mysqlAppleMetaNodeLocation: /Local/
DefaultNFSHomeDirectory: /var/emptyPassword: *PrimaryGroupID: 74
RealName:
  MySQL Server
RecordName: _mysql mysql
RecordType: dsRecTypeStandard:Users