Remove +with_default_names and use a specific path for unprefixed binaries

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Thu Sep 17 23:44:10 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:19:34PM -0700, Blair Zajac said:
> On Sep 17, 2009, at 11:09 PM, Mark A. Miller wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com>
> >wrote:
> >But if I want the port, I want the port.  What's the point of
> >installing it if you don't want it as the default.
[...]
> I think you're mistaken there.  I've installed many ports with
> coreutils, findutils and other ones installed and the only issue I've
> ever run into was with an issue of the python* ports installing using
> xargs.
>
> I'm not suggesting doing this for all ports, just where there's
> breakage.

Are you willing to build all 6100+ ports to verify all of them are okay with
+with_default_names?

Also, note that some of these ports are dependencies for other ports, so it
may not simply be a case of "you wanted it, so you must want it as the
default".  For example, I have m4 and gsed installed solely as dependencies,
and I believe that's how I've ended up with coreutils before.

Bryan