starting pureftpd port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 19 11:03:20 PDT 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 18:12, Scott Haneda wrote:

> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/net/pureftpd/Portfile
>
> I wonder if someone can lend me a hand in figuring out the correct
> way to start this ftpd on Leopard:
>
> From the current port file:
> # Notify the user how to launch the ftpd
> post-install {
>    ui_msg "\nYou can now start PureFTPd in 3 ways,"
>    ui_msg "either via xinetd, in standalone mode, or"
>    ui_msg "if you're using Mac OS X 10.4 / Darwin 8.x"
>    ui_msg "via launchd(8).\n"
>    ui_msg "If you're under Mac OS X 10.3 or Mac OS X 10.4,"
>    ui_msg "you have to copy ${prefix}/share/doc/${name}/pure-ftpd"
>    ui_msg "to /etc/pam.d and use the '-lpam' flag when"
>    ui_msg "launching pure-ftpd to have PAM working.\n"
> }

Sounds like the instructions can be simplified now that we no longer
support 10.3 and can guarantee the presence of launchd.

> I can start pureftpd and it works from the command line now.  Apple
> has /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist which seems to get the
> disabled key toggled around depending on how your system preferences
> are set.
>
> If I want to maintain that feature, enable and disable by System
> preferences, I take it I would need to alter /System/Library/
> LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist?

I would discourage you from modifying files installed by Apple.
Instead, this port should install its own launchd plist and you can
manage that plist on the command line or using gui tools like lingon.

> I am thinking in this case, there are so many ways to start this,
> the portfile needs to just install a plist and ui_msg where it is
> and how to enabled it.

I would say the port should use the startupitem keywords like other
ports do.

> I do not know the correct location to put it, and how to configure
> it so that it is on demand.  I believe the Apple ftp dies and only
> comes alive when a request comes in, which is nice, as you do not
> have a ftpd running 24/7, only when you need it.

That would be launch-on-demand. The MacPorts startupitem keywords
don't provide a way to do that AFAIK though it might be a nice feature
to add somehow. I have already received one request for that in regard
to the mysql5-server port.