darwin may lose primary target status on FSF gcc

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Sat Sep 19 11:27:14 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 05:31:40PM -0700, Toby Peterson wrote:

> Given current reality, you're probably better off contributing to
> llvm-gfortran... or better yet, a native fortran front-end for llvm.
> FSF gcc is barely relevant on our platform these days.
>
> - Toby

Toby,
   I should have added that you are far more likely to eventually
see a fortran compiler on llvm via FSF gcc with a llvm compiler plugin.
The recently added GPLv3 exemption for compiler plugins allows
FSF's gcc's front and middle ends to use llvm without tainting
either's licenses. There is some discusson of this but I wouldn't
expect anything before gcc 4.6 or later. Starting from scratch to
implement a fortran compiler will take many years (as it did for the
g95 code base to mature into a fully integrated gfortran compiler).
            Jack