macport's oddity

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Sat Sep 19 22:12:57 PDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 10:25:03PM -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
>    I am running into an issue with MacPort's that
> seems rather odd. My system shell is set to tcsh
> and and I have the normal entries in my .cshrc of...
>
> ##
> # Your previous /Users/howarth/.cshrc file was backed up as /Users/howarth/.cshrc.macports-saved_2009-09-11_at_18:03:54
> ##
>
> # MacPorts Installer addition on 2009-09-11_at_18:03:54: adding an appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
> setenv PATH /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
> # Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.
>
> If I build and install a new package in one
> Terminal window, normally under fink the installed
> files were immediately available in the other
> terminal windows (or worse case I had to issue a
> rehash command). I am finding that in the other
> terminal windows, rehash doesn't allow the file
> to execute and I have to open a new terminal window
> for the newly installed files in /opt/local/bin
> to be found when I type their unpathed filename.
> Is this normal for MacPorts?

	Did you bother to check your PATH in those
terminal windows where things didn't work?  If you
did, did it have /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin
in it?  If so, then that's a bit odd, but at a shell
and/or system level, not something that MacPorts
is doing.  If not, then it sounds perfectly normal
for a shell.

		-eric