Remove +with_default_names and use a specific path for unprefixed binaries

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Sep 20 05:11:58 PDT 2009

On 2009-09-20 00:28 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> If your MANPATH is empty (as I believe we recommend), then man will
> automatically search for things in all the locations specified in PATH
> (that is, for every path in PATH, man will look in ../share/man for
> manpages).

The installer still sets up a non-empty MANPATH. Using an empty MANPATH
is only recommend on ProblemHotlist as it is the most easy fix, but adds
additional time to search from bin for man or share/man.

> Though it's sounding strange for libexec/gnu to be its own prefix.
> apach2, for example, uses ${prefix}/apache2 as its prefix. Granted
> that violates the mtree, which I originally objected to in this
> thread. :/ Guess I don't really know where it should go.

We often talked about apache2 as a bad example of mtree violation and we
agreed that it is bad and should be changed. But if I remember correctly
this is the default layout the build system produces.

We could even provide a small "gnuify" script in ${prefix}/bin which
would set up the appropriate PATH and MANPATH. For users it wouldn't
matter if the GNU binaries with original names are in ${prefix}/gnu or
${prefix}/libexec/gnu or whatever, they just call gnuify once (or add it
to their profile).

Rainer