MacPorts on Other Platforms

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Sep 20 08:02:46 PDT 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> But if there's any interest, I could post the failures somewhere.
>> Mostly it's just about hardcoding .dylib or missing a "platform{}"
>
> I try to put obviously Mac OS X-specific things in a "platform
> darwin" section. I've certainly seen ports that don't bother.
>
> I'm sure if anyone were actually trying to use MacPorts on another
> OS and encountered problems, they would file tickets.

Obviously nobody is... :-)

Some of the errors are a bit trickier, like for instance expecting
/usr/bin/patch to be GNU patch or assuming that "make -j1" works.
Or not stating -DPIC -fPIC (since that's the default on Mac OS X),
or writing #!/bin/sh shell scripts for bash only. Things like that.

That ports intended only for Mac OS X, like for instance Xquartz,
doesn't work on other platforms except macosx is understandable.
But I suppose one could file tickets for the instances where it's
actually "base" itself that gets in the way for portability... ?

Or just fix them instead.

--anders