darwin may lose primary target status on FSF gcc

Brian Barnes bcbarnes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 15:44:59 PDT 2009

On Sep 22, 2009, at 5:21 PM, Toby Peterson wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 15:08, Jack Howarth
> <howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 03:02:00PM -0700, Toby Peterson wrote:
>>>
>>> Only one way to change that...
>>
>>   I suspect a careful review of the gfortran progress will show
>> that it only gained traction when programmers contracted to improve
>> it came on board. Expecting a 'grass-roots' fortran project to
>> viable is a bit unrealistic. Only if FSF gcc became unbuildable
>> on darwin might a company feel the need to expend funds on such
>> a project.
>
> In that case let's hope it becomes unbuildable sooner rather than
> later.

Or, perhaps let's hope that people exist with motive, means and
opportunity to contribute to gcc and keep it working on OS X, and are
able to do so.  I would rather not lose future updates to the only
fast, free Fortran compiler on OS X.  I cannot comprehend why you wish
for some of us to lose our tools with no fast, free replacement even
vaguely in sight.

Brian