darwin may lose primary target status on FSF gcc

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Tue Sep 22 17:43:32 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:32:01PM -0400, Eric Tiffany wrote:
> At the risk of jumping into the middle of a dog fight... I only have a
> peripheral interest in these issues, but I'd just like to ask:
>
> Jack: what do you want the people on this list to do?  I (for one) am
> convinced that this is an important issue and your evidence is overwhelming,
> but I'm not clear on what course of action you advocate.
>

> ET

If anyone feels up to it that can try to help with the FSF gcc development.
You can commit patches of up to 20 lines without paperwork which often is
plenty to fix bugs with. I just fixed the P1 block on *-*-darwin* last night...

The biggest issue left to be addressed is how FSF gcc and darwin handle
libgcc. Apple wanted to standardize it so we ended up with libgcc-10.4
and libgcc-10.5 which define which symbols out of libgcc_s are visibie.
This is causing us problems since over time new symbols have been added
to libgcc_s and they aren't visible. We are working with the Darwin
maintainers from Apple to try to find the best solution around that.
If we fix that, I actually think we are in pretty good shape for awhile.
Our testsuite results compare very well with any other FSF gcc target.
                    Jack