wxPython-devel fork?

vincent habchi vince at macports.org
Wed Sep 23 04:04:00 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have ported the Grass (v. 6.4) GIS app to MacPorts in my private
tree. However, Grass relies on Wxpython. In order to get a universal
build, I had to use the svn version of Wxpython, the only one
compatible with the newest wxWidgets 2.9.0, which features the
osx_cocoa 32/64-build.

The standard wxWidgets-devel Portfile, while up to date, lacks the
universal/cocoa option. I have a private version of the port called
wxWidgets29, that serves as a foundation for both my private "py26-
wxpython-devel" port and Grass.

In order to commit Grass and py26-wxpython-devel, is it reasonable to
fork wxwindows-devel in wxwindows29 or shall I modify the wxwindows-
devel portfile? I proposed the patched version to the owners, but got
no response. I feel wxwindows-devel should follow wxWindows
development (even into 3.0) while wxwindows29 could be used only for
the 2.9 unstable branch.

Opinion?

Vincent