MySQL port name confusion

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Sep 26 12:41:45 PDT 2009

On 2009-9-27 05:24, Scott Haneda wrote:
> Question of curiosity.  Why does MacPorts needs to be able to build a
> UB? MacPorts builds on the machine it is intended to use.  I am not
> aware of many desiring to copy a binary from one machine to the other,
> and that would be a lot of work with all the man pages and other parts
> that may come along with the binary.

I guess people share archives between machines? You're right, it's
usually unnecessary. But then you get something like wine which will
only build for i386, so you install all the dependencies universal
i386/x86_64 so you can have x86_64 for everything else.

I can also see it being useful for people building libs to ship in a
.app bundle (or, say, the MacPorts base pkgs), though we don't really
cater to that case what with the install_name mangling that is needed.

- Josh