MySQL port name confusion

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 26 15:16:16 PDT 2009

On 26 Sep 2009, at 17:45, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2009, at 04:53, Akira Kitada wrote:
>
>> I realized mysql5 and mysql5-server ports are still pointing to
>> 5.0.x,
>> ex-GA release of MySQL
>> and need to install mysql5-devel and mysql5-server-devel for 5.1.x,
>> the current GA release.
>>
>> If I understand correctly, -devel suffix denotes that the port is a
>> development version
>> but this case, it actually provides GA release version.
>>
>> So I think I would say they aren't so good port names.
>> I think simply naming them as mysqlXX(-server) is more intuitive.
>> Coincidentally, this seems the naming convention adopted in FreeBSD
>> ports.
>>
>> What do you think of this? Do you think this is feasible?
>
> I was not planning on changing the names. I was planning on
> upgrading mysql5 to 5.1.x and mysql5-devel to 5.4.x.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19414
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19415
>
> I was just about to finally get around to doing that a few days ago,
> but it seems mysql 5.1.x cannot be installed as a universal binary
> whereas this was no problem for 5.0.x so I filed a but with the
> mysql developers. Unfortunately I have not received a response on it
> yet.
>
> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=47360

MySQL continues to refer to both 5.0.x and 5.1.x as both being GA
releases

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html
and
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.1.html

And there appears to be no end-of-life statement about 5.0 apart from
them not producing pre-built binaries for four named OS's after 31 Dec
2009. In fact they state they are continuing to provide source code
and support for everything 4.1 and higher.

So maybe there is a need for a
MySQL41
MySQL50
MySQL51
MySQL54
separate ports, so that users know what they are actually getting when
they install/upgrade.

Though whether anyone still requires 4.1.x is a good question. But it
is allegedly still supported in the source repository for security
fixes.

Mark