php5 defaults issues

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Sep 30 17:14:48 PDT 2009

I have two issues with the current php5 install.  A phpInfo shows the
sendmail path to be blank.  I have never had to set this in the past,
there was a default value built in that worked.

I have set
/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
which solved the problem, but wondered why this was not a default.

 From php.ini
; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail
-t -i").
; http://php.net/sendmail-path
;sendmail_path =

So I should have had 'sendmail -t -i' without defining anything.

in phpInfo I am seeing in the date section:
dateWarning: phpinfo(): It is not safe to rely on the system's
timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting
or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of
those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely
misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles'
for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in info.php on line 2

The php.ini has this:
[Date]
; Defines the default timezone used by the date functions
; http://php.net/date.timezone
;date.timezone =

Suggestions?