[65076] trunk/base/src

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 1 00:29:01 PDT 2010

On Mar 21, 2010, at 12:06, Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 2010-03-21 11:07 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Do you suppose it would be nice to use setpriority in other phases as
>> well? There are some ports that, though perhaps they shouldn't,
>> compile in either the configure or destroot phases; perhaps they
>> should use lower priority then too. Even ports that don't do this
>> will sometimes do a lot of work in the configure phase, which can eat
>> into CPU time.
>
> configure and destroot phases in general are I/O bound and not very CPU
> intensive. Changing the scheduling priority only helps to reduce CPU
> load, I/O is not affected. Although there might be ports doing some
> heavy stuff in configure/destroot it usually does not take that long
> that it would disturb normal operations at the same time.

I realize that's the case for most ports. I'm saying there are a few select ports for which that is not the case. For example, qt4-mac compiles its qmake program in its configure phase; this is normal for qt4-mac. InsightToolkit spends hours compiling in its build phase, then spends more hours compiling in its destroot phase; whether this is intentional is unclear but for whatever reason this is what it is doing, and it would be nice if when it's doing it, it would not suck up my CPU.

> But if we want to lower priority, we would only have to add
> configure.nice/destroot.nice options to portconfigure/portdestroot.

For the benefit of those quirky ports that for whatever reason do processor-intensive tasks outside of the build phase, it might be nice to do that.