GSoC - Dynamic Libraries

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Apr 7 19:20:40 PDT 2010

On 2010-4-8 05:44 , Jordan Schneider wrote:
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from looking at some Portfiles, I don't see any information identifying ports as being dynamic libraries. Would it be necessary to implement a line in the Portfiles for dynamic libraries flagging them as such, or would there be a better method of determining which ports to automatically run the rev-upgrade command for?
>
> Alternatively, would it be foolish for rev-upgrade to treat all ports the same and just check all of a port's dependents for linker errors?

You can ignore noarch ports (that info is available in trunk), but
that's about it.

Something that nobody seems to have touched on yet is how this will
interact with archive mode. Currently you have to clean --archive or
otherwise delete the archive file or it will just be unpacked instead of
building the port again. If we merge images-and-archives then the
archive will go away when the port is uninstalled.

This ties in with binary distribution and MPAB as well. If the linking
is broken for an archive we have available on the server, we need to
build a new revision.

- Josh