Updating unmaintained ports: alphamail

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 18 10:23:30 PDT 2010

On Apr 18, 2010, at 12:12, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> On 2010-4-19 02:08 , Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>>>
>>> My experience is that "port livecheck" without -d will report nothing if
>>> livecheck is invalid for various reason, example distname has changed or
>>> source repository has moved. I usually do port -d livecheck.
>>
>> You always get an error message if the regex doesn't match anything. If
>> the project has moved but old versions are still available from the old
>> site, -d won't help.
>
> Maybe livecheck.type regex does.
>
> But there are many many ports that don't have any livecheck set in the portfile and these report nothing with -v.

Ports that don't have any livecheck set inherit the defaults, which could be to search sourceforge, or googlecode, or freshmeat, or gnu, etc., depending on how the port defines its master_sites. All ports have some kind of livecheck, even if they don't specify it, unless they deliberately disable it.

> While looking for an example the first one I looked at describes what I'm talking about. The $homepage is invalid.
> Try it.
>
> port -v livecheck 9e
> port -d livecheck 9e
> port cat 9e

Look at the last 2 lines of the 9e portfile:

# This software has no version
livecheck.type  none