[MacPorts] Migration modified

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 21 10:25:41 PDT 2010

On Apr 20, 2010, at 18:51, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2010-4-21 07:46 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Apr 20, 2010, at 16:24, MacPorts wrote:
>>
>>> +This is another possibility, which will list all the ports on one {{{sudo port install}}} command, rather than a separate command for each port.  In a perfect world (ha! ha! ha!), this port command might resolve the dependency tree and arrange the correct installation order, but don't hold your breath for that ;-)
>>
>> This might be getting a little chatty and conversational for what is supposed to be a short help document for users who have just encountered an unfortunate situation (the necessity of reinstalling all their ports).
>>
>> Also, how does this new method you've added compare to Joshua's restore_ports.tcl script already mentioned there?
>>
>> The more information that's put on that page, the more the user has to read to figure out what to do to resolve their problem. I worry we now have too much information on that page.
>
> Agreed. I hate to shoot down your work, but this is much more
> scary-looking than the restore_ports method and doesn't appear to work
> as well. I just can't see that its presence on the page is going to help
> the reader.

To make it less-scary, Darren, you could put it all in a shell script. You could start it in your users folder in the repository and work on it there.

But I do worry about having too many different ways of doing this. A user isn't going to try multiple methods of reinstalling their ports; they want to try one way and to have it work the first time. I too don't want to discourage your work, but Joshua already made restore_ports, and unless you believe it's totally unsuitable and that you have a better way, we should work on improving restore_ports, not reinventing it. restore_ports has the added benefit of already being in tcl, giving it the potential for eventually being included within MacPorts base itself somehow.

More generally, it would have been a good idea to discuss on this mailing list your intention to create a new reinstallation script, so that we could have mentioned these things before you had already spent a lot of time on it.