Skipping upgrade ... even though installed variants "+darwin" do not match "".

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Apr 23 16:07:49 PDT 2010

On 2010-4-24 08:55 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2010, at 17:52, Rainer Müller wrote:
>>
>> Yes. There are no platform variants anymore, the keyword 'platform' is
>> now a conditional at time of evaluation (an aliased if-statement).
>
> I saw that this was done, but I didn't understand why. What was the reasoning?

A variant that you cannot select or deselect is not a variant at all.
All that business with filtering implicit variants shows that variants
are not the right tool for this job.

>> Therefore +darwin and similar will not be set anymore, which results in
>> this warning.
>
> This is unfortunate in a way because when users would report problems on Snow Leopard, we could often tell what was wrong by the presence of "+darwin_9" variants in the set of ports shown in the dependencies in their debug output and we could refer them to the Migration page. Do we have a new way of identifying or handling this situation now?

All ports where the os.major or os.platform in the registry does not
match the current value will be considered outdated, and 'port outdated'
will indicate that this is the reason. 'port -v installed' also shows
the platform info.

I've never been entirely sold on the warning about non-matching variants
when upgrading, and this might be a good excuse to turn it off.

- Josh