Request: [macports-dev] tag for this mailing list

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 24 10:03:02 PDT 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 18:38, Matthias Rampke wrote:

> To me, this is not about filtering, it's about knowing at a glance
> what a mail is about. I have a single stream of incoming mail from
> various sources, some with more traffic, some with less. All of the
> mailinglists (most, but not all of them non-software-related) provide
> such a tag, except for this one.
>
> Consider the following hypothetical inbox excerpt:
>
> Compiling trunk doesn't work on Mac OS X
> [macports-dev] Compiling trunk doesn't work on Mac OS X
> [netbsd-dev] Compiling trunk doesn't work on Mac OS X
> [abiword-dev] Compiling trunk doesn't work on Mac OS X
>
> In many cases, Subject lines are not meaningful without this piece of
> context, and in almost all cases it takes at least two or three
> readings to make out where it belongs.

The most commonly-cited reason for not adding subject prefixes is the amount of space it takes away from actually useful content. I filter all my macports-dev messages into a macports-dev folder in Mail; taking up 100 pixels of the 250 pixels I have allotted to display subject lines just to show me a piece of information I already know is not useful. I don't want this change made.

I see you're on GMail which I'm told doesn't have folders, but they do have tags, and I have to believe that the matter of separating messages from different mailing list is one which they've already adequately solved in some way.