Reverting a Portfile Down a Version

Joseph Holsten joseph at josephholsten.com
Sat Apr 24 13:42:56 PDT 2010

It seems the only good way to fix ticket  #24244 is to revert r65344, changing the version back down from 0.5.4 to 0.4.1. Is there a way to do this that isn't a complete mess?

It seems the current hs-mmap 0.5 won't play nice with the current hs-hashed-storage 0.4. The only port depending on hs-mmap is hs-hashed-storage, so having the latest and greatest isn't buying us anything. I've talked to the upstream maintainer and they've got a fix but doesn't want to release it until darcs moves up to 2.5. And like hs-mmap, the only port depending on hs-hashed-storage is darcs, so it doesn't make sense to apply that patch to screw up consistency with upstream versions and possibly break darcs.

So we really just need to revert r65344. I think the people with hs-mmap 0.5.4 installed probably uninstalled it when it broke everything, but there's probably people out there who tried to install darcs and will still have it installed. Maybe we could add checks for hs-mmap 0.5.4 to hs-hashed-storage and/or darcs to reinstall? Is there some other way to have port upgrade _just work_ for users who have borked their install?
--
http://josephholsten.com