New porter question

Joseph Holsten joseph at josephholsten.com
Sat Apr 24 14:14:00 PDT 2010

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> I'm trying to port tclreadline but I'm having problems convincing it that the linker does shared libs..
[snip
> I have a reasonable amount of experience with FreeBSD ports but none for MacPorts so any help is appreciated :)

I've created a new ticket for you to track this: http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24638. Until you get commit access, this is the best way to submit new ports.

I assume you've put together a local portfile repo per http://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories.

Since tclreadline is a sourceforge project that should just work with a ./configure; make; make install, you should be able to use a relatively standard portfile format like I've put in the ticket. The only trick is getting the right checksums, you can get these by putting together a dummy portfile and running 'port -d checksum $PORTNAME'. When you update this portfile in the future, you'll run 'port livecheck $PORTNAME' to see if there's a new version, update that, then update the checksums.

I do notice that tclreadline's installation wants to place it's manuals into ${prefix}/man/, but macports prefers ${prefix}/share/man/. Please fix this if you can. It's probably due to the use of autoconf-2.13(!), which was released in 1999.  Maybe you could pass a sane mandir to configure?

Let us know if you have any issues, this list and irc://chat.freenode.net/#MacPorts are well frequented.
--
http://josephholsten.com