Auto lint reports

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Apr 29 12:23:34 PDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 1:37 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2010, at 13:22, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> Thanks, once I know the right way to deal with this, I will send in the patches for each notification I received.
>
> You received these notifications because I made changes to hundreds of p5 ports yesterday to add the new supported_archs attribute available in MacPorts trunk to indicate that these ports do not install any architecture-specific files. It would have taken forever to get approval from hundreds of different maintainers so for the good of the project I just went ahead and committed the changes.

Ahh, understood, thanks.

> The whitespace of the port has not changed since you originally submitted it:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18123

Weird, I use textmate, which leans on soft tabs, meaning, using spaces, but it treats them as tabs, and I set it to 4 spaces.  It is my preferred editing mode.

> The preferred whitespace of files in MacPorts is spaces with indentations at 4 spaces per virtual tab:
>
> http://guide.macports.org/#development.practices.portstyle

Cool, cause that is exactly what I like as well.

> If you'd like to change the whitespace of your ports, you can file tickets or just let me know; changing tabs to spaces is a simple matter -- for example, to convert 8-space tabs to spaces, I use:
>
> expand -t 8 Portfile > a
> mv a Portfile
>
> So if you want to have the tabs changed to spaces in each port, and want to save yourself the bother of filing tickets and attaching patches, let me know and I can run those commands for you.

Yes, all of my ports are more than welcome to have that treatment, it is what I will make certain I am using from this point forward.

> Adding the modeline is also a good idea at this point to indicate the port's compliance with the preferred whitespace style.

Ok, I will make a snipped to add it to all my ports.

> The message about hardcoding the version number is there because in the case of simple version updates, we want maintainers to only have to update the version in one place, and the checksums. Hardcoding the version in other places in the portfile makes for more work for you when updating the version, or makes for things you'll forget to update.
>
> In a subsequent commit, I already removed the homepage line from those ports of yours where I received this message, since the default homepage line provided by the perl5 portgroup seemed to be adequate.

Ok, thank you.  Does that mean there is nothing for me to do, aside from a sudo port selfupdate to see what the changes were, and make sure I am making these changes to my workflow as well?

Thank you Ryan.