XDG for gEDA ports and umbrella port

Andrea D'Amore and.damore at macports.org
Thu Apr 29 23:45:30 PDT 2010

Hello,
I've updated packages from gEDA
<http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:download> and I noticed a few of them
use xdg-database from desktop-file-utils port. At the moment this
option is disabled in configure phase because it creates files in
destroot that overlap with system wide database, i.e. both geda-gaf
and pcb create ${destroot}${prefix}/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache,
the first contains
  [MIME Cache]
  application/x-geda-symbol=geda-gschem.desktop
  application/x-geda-schematic=geda-gschem.desktop

while the second contains:
  [MIME Cache]
  application/x-gerber=gerbv.desktop

A run of ${prefix}/bin/update-desktop-database will recreate the cache
so I added an option in geda-gaf to both remove conflicting files in
post-destroot and run update-desktop-database in post-activate, but
I'm not sure about it is safe to remove as geda-gaf only conflicted
with two.
Has anyone already dealt with XDG desktop database?
Can the whole ${destroot}${prefix}/share/mime directory be pruned?
Should we create a portgroup for desktop-database with files removal
and default post-activate flight?

As second topic while gEDA packages are distributed both on gEDA site
and separately on each project's page, the development effort seems to
have been centralized, would it be fine to create an umbrella package
for the whole gEDA?

Bye

--
Andrea