BSD ports system

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Apr 30 15:16:46 PDT 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> If you want GUI, you're best off using *BSD rather than GNU-Darwin.  The IOKit based X11 server is long dead, but you can certainly try to get it up and running.  I think it was still around in xorg-server-1.3 (not the -apple releases).

Luckily, I do not want a GUI at all.  I am plenty happy with a pure command line boot.  In this case, it is actually desirable.  In reality, if I do manage to work this all out, spec out the hardware I need etc, I display will never even be plugged into it.  It will boot with TCP/IP set to pick up a DHCP address on one of the interfaces.  If I have my way, there will be two interfaces.  So you login over https to the local DHCP interface at 10.1.10.1 or whatever, and then set your real IP's on interface #2.

> As far as launchd goes, you should be able to get it running on the *BSDs.  I don't believe any of them use it natively, but that doesn't mean you can't do it yourself. Check out http://launchd.macosforge.org/trac

Wow, had no idea that macosforge was on that one too.  Thank you for the link.  It was http 400, but chopping off the /trac got me there.  I have this feeling it would be rather challenging to move all services from whatever launching system the *BSD's use to launchd.  Seems rather daunting; I have 74 total processes running now, shave off 10% of those for GUI based apps, and I am left with a pretty large chunk of application and services that would have to be massaged into using launchd.

Looks like I will just learn the native methods, which I am sure are not too bar away from the stuff I have fiddled with on Linux.

Thanks for the links and pointers, I appreciate it.