variants not preserved on upgrade

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Aug 1 01:24:03 PDT 2010

On 2010-8-1 08:07 , Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> I have boost installed as +python26+universal:
> $ port installed boost
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   boost @1.42.0_0+icu+python26+universal (active)
>
> but when upgrading, it's trying to pull in openmpi (which is a variant that conflicts with python26).
>
> $ cat .../.macports.boost.state
> variant: +openmpi
> variant: +universal
> variant: +icu
> variant: +python26
>

> So why is it trying to add +openmpi to the variants when it explicitly conflicts? (yes it's in variants.conf)

We could probably be a bit smarter about not adding variants from
variants.conf when they conflict with what's already been requested, but
I don't know if it's as straightforward as it sounds. At present, if you
don't want +openmpi in this situation, you have to install with an
explicit -openmpi (which is then preserved when you upgrade).

- Josh