ruby_select port

David Baumgold singingwolfboy at macports.org
Sun Aug 1 12:49:51 PDT 2010

I wrote and currently maintain most of the Ruby 1.9 Gem ports currently in
MacPorts (rb19-*). Recently, Joe Rozner emailed me informing me that my
rb19-rails port didn't work properly: after a bit of debugging, I discovered
that he was using the "ruby" executable to run it from the "ruby" port (Ruby
version 1.8), rather than the "ruby1.9" executable from the "ruby19" port
(Ruby version 1.9). With the Python ports, users can select default versions
using the "python_select" port -- it would make a lot of sense to do the
same thing for Ruby using a "ruby_select" port, but sadly, that port doesn't
currently exist. There is a +nosuffix variant for the current "ruby19" port,
but this is not a good solution -- not only does it conflict with the "ruby"
port, but apparently some rb19-* Portfiles don't work with it (see
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/25896).

I noticed that there is a "select" Portgroup which should make this Portfile
easy enough to write: I've attached a draft Portfile which is more-or-less
copied from the current python_select port. However, I don't really know
what I'm doing, and I'm guessing that the "ruby" and "ruby19" ports are
going to have to be modified for this to work -- and I don't maintain either
of them. Can someone(s) point me in the right direction and/or help me get
the ball rolling for this?