Suggested method for dealing with logging facilities

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Aug 11 21:03:29 PDT 2010

Hello,

If an app has built in logging facilities for local0, local1...local7, and daemon, and by default set to log to /var/log/messages what is the MacPorts suggested resolution to this?

Creating /var/log/messages will not start the logging as there is no facility for it.  You would have to edit /etc/syslog.conf, which could change via software update.

The only thing I am coming up with is source modification in the PortFile, which would allow me to set it to /opt/loccal/var/log or to /var/log/system.log

This is for smartmontools in case anyone is familiar with that.
--
Scott (* For off-list contact, replace talklists@ with scott@ *)