Mirror error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 14 17:30:59 PDT 2010

On Aug 14, 2010, at 10:10, Jann Röder wrote:

> I just got this e-mail:
>
>> Portfile: eiffelstudio66
>>

>> Errors: --->  Attempting to fetch PorterPackage_66_83873.tar from
>> http://distfiles.macports.org/eiffelstudio66
>> --->  Attempting to fetch PorterPackage_66_83873.tar from
>> ftp://beta:beta57@ftp.eiffel.com/
>> --->  Attempting to fetch PorterPackage_66_83873.tar from
>> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/eiffelstudio
>>

> What is this supposed to tell me? I checked manually: Fetching works
> fine.

No error occurred. The email is erroneous and you can ignore it. The distfiles mirror sends out emails when fetches and lint checks fail, but as of MacPorts 1.9.0 the way some messages get generated by MacPorts base got changed and the scripts on the distfiles mirror got confused about when emails needed to be sent, and emails were getting sent always, even when there was no problem. These problems have been corrected in MacPorts base and the distfiles mirror has been updated to use that version so these incorrect emails should no longer get sent.

> Especially weird is the first line for the distfiles.macports.org
> mirror which I do not list in the portfile.

This is not weird. The MacPorts project maintains a number of mirrors for distfiles, so that if the primary distfiles source is offline, ports can still be fetched, and also to speed up fetches, since MacPorts will choose a mirror with low ping time (which in many cases translates to the fastest mirror), and our primary distfiles mirror is located on Apple's very fast network. MacPorts automatically inserts all our mirrors into the list of servers to be tried by "port fetch". For a list of our mirrors see http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors . The main distfiles mirror itself does a "port fetch" whenever a commit occurs. And since this fetch is being performed by the machine known as distfiles.macports.org, it stands to reason that distfiles.macports.org would in that case have the lowest ping time of all. Thus when the distfiles mirror tries to initially fetch the file, it will first try to fetch it from itself, even though in this case of course it doesn't have the file yet. No harm done; it tries other servers and eventually finds the needed files.