PortGroup Versions

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed Aug 18 09:35:21 PDT 2010

Indeed, once the items from qt4-mac-devel make it out of beta (that's why they aren't in qt4-mac) then KDE 4.5.0 won't need the special portgroup changes any longer. Keeping the PortGroup versions separate would make reverting easily accomplished while not impacting other ports.

Then again, we might just update the PortGroup and then change it back after qt4's next version is released.

Here are the source changes for the portgroup:

-# PortGroup     kde4 1.0
+# PortGroup     kde4 1.1
-set qt                  qt4-mac
+set qt                  qt4-mac-devel
 set qt_dir              ${prefix}/libexec/${qt}

But notice all the lines using "qt" and "qt_dir":

    if { ![file exists ${prefix}/libexec/${qt}/lib/phonon.framework/phonon] } {
        ui_error "${qt} to provide this. If you have already done this "
depends_lib-append      port:${qt}
                        -DPHONON_INCLUDE_DIR=${qt_dir}/include \
                        -DPHONON_LIBRARY=${qt_dir}/lib/phonon.framework/phonon \
                        -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=${qt_dir}/bin/qmake \

The other approach, which I think is not be what we're after, is to manually override the PortGroup in every KDE portfile for the above lines.

Which is the best method: create a new portgroup version (no side effects of which i'm aware)? change the portgroup (impacts all ports using it)? or override the portgroup (lots of redundancy  in the portfiles)?