issue: "dyld: Symbol not found: _CGLGetCurrentContext"

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Wed Aug 18 18:38:28 PDT 2010

I've been working on ticket #26079, asking for octave-devel using Octave
3.3.52.  I use Octave (3.2.4, via MacPorts), and so I'd like to see this
port happen.  I've gotten to the point of everything compiling, but the
install won't continue because the created 'octave' won't execute.  When
I set up DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly and try to execute './octave' from
the CLI, it complains:

dyld: Symbol not found: _CGLGetCurrentContext
 Referenced from:
 /System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/QuartzCore
 Expected in:
 /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL

This symbol is actually defined in the library
'/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib',
which is in the load path of OpenGL (so, when OpenGL is loaded
supposedly this sub-library is too).  Neither Octave itself nor any of
its immediate library dependencies request QuartzCore, so I assume it is
loaded quite a ways down the line (and, GDB verifies this belief).

That said, I have no idea how to fix this issue.  An internet search
doesn't help me out, nor do Apple's forums -- I haven't spent tons of
time on this issue, but enough to know that it's not a common one (if it
were common, an internet search would turn something up quickly).
Anyone have any idea what this issue is about & how to resolve it?
Thanks in advance. - MLD