exact version dependency for ocaml libraries

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Aug 19 10:17:11 PDT 2010

On Aug 19, 2010, at 12:11, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:

> On 19 Aug 2010, at 18:01, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>>

>> It would be a lot easier to be able to have a port depend on an *explicit* version of a subport, so caml-findlib-1.25 could depend on =ocaml-3.11.  Is that difficult to add in as a feature in the current Macports infrastructure?
>
> Hm, or a versioned OCaml PortGroup might be the way to go, and jump bump its version to that of the OCaml compiler.  I can't find where the existing PortGroups are actually defined (not in the man page, anyway, or a grep of the tree).  Could someone point me at (for example) the python and kde base definitions so I can see if that would be useful in this case?

The portgroup doesn't need to be versioned IMO. When a new version of ocaml is out, just update the version in the portgroup.

You can read the source of the portgroups here:

http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group

Consider how the php5extension portgroup prevents the problem you're worried about; see the pre-configure block on (currently) line 191:

http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group/php5extension-1.0.tcl?rev=70734#L191