perl and perl module collide

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 6 08:51:06 PST 2010

On Dec 6, 2010, at 09:17, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>>
>> ricci and narf_tm (and whoever knows which port should take precedence):
>> I came across p5-extutils-makemaker colliding with perl5.8 over at least /opt/local/bin/instmodsh.
>>
>> Which version of the file should be removed in the Portfile?
>
> did you diff them? Sometimes (we get lucky) and there are no important differences in the files, so the module (which is probably newer) can just not install the file if it's already there.
>
> Of course, we should probably deprecate perl 5.8 ...

Our entire p5 ports tree is pretty much only tested with perl5.8, isn't it? Because that's still the default. I've seen several tickets about problems with p5 ports which were traced back to someone using perl5.10 or perl5.12. I'd love to get updated to a newer perl in MacPorts, on principle, but I don't know how smooth that's going to be.