Contact software developers when adding a port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 16 05:35:52 PST 2010

On Dec 16, 2010, at 07:28, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> My opinion was to count downloads of source from MacPorts mirror if possible.
>
> Isn't the MacPorts mirror the fall back though?
>
> Why not put a GET query string in the URL:
> http://master_site/distfile?distro=macports

The MacPorts mirrors (there are several) are considered equally with the actual listed master_sites; they're tried in order of ping time.

You're probably thinking of the MacPorts Subversion repository, which is indeed a fallback after all master_sites and mirrors have failed. Hardly any distfiles are stored in the Subversion repository anymore.

If we wanted to implement a download counter, we could do so with a central redirector script for example. That would also give us the opportunity to do more intelligent Geo-IP-based mirror selection, instead of the current ping-based method which causes problems for some users and some servers.

IMHO download counters are perhaps not terribly useful....