Performance issue?!

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Thu Dec 23 15:30:54 PST 2010

On Dec 22, 2010, at 4:07 PM, Marko Käning wrote:

> The more shocking stuff I have is MacOSX's version of aqbanking being 2-3 times slower than the Linux counterpart.

I have to agree with Daniel - this needs a lot more information.  For example, I could say something like "povray is slower on MacOSX than on Linux" and everyone could rapidly infer from this that "ray tracing on MacOSX is slow!" but they'd be wrong, or at the least inadequately informed, because I never qualified the input data to povray, the complexity of the models in the scene description, the quality level being requested for the final image, etc etc.  Similarly, saying that "aqbanking is 2-3 times slower" is more significant for all the information that you left out (doing what?  with what workload?  using what testing methodologies?) and the lack of profile data which even begins to support such an assertion.  That's the only thing actually shocking about your email. :)

- Jordan