Obsolete TeX ports

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Wed Dec 29 16:04:34 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 06:11:47PM -0800, Dan Ports wrote:
> I'm inclined to go through these and mark the abandoned ones as
> replaced_by the appropriate texlive port. This would ensure we'd have a
> reasonably up-to-date version. Are there any objections to this?

After reviewing a bunch of ports, it looks like the following ports
have newer versions available in texlive:

 - revtex [nomaintainer, v4] -- texlive-publishers has v4.1
 - breqn [gwright, v0.9.4] -- texlive-latex3 has 0.9.8
 - tex-mh [nomaintainer, unversioned] -- texlive-latex3 has newer

I plan to replace these ports with the corresponding texlive port,
along with the following which are up to date but nomaintainer:

 - tex-cm-super [nomaintainer, v0.3.4] => texlive-fonts-recommended
 - tex-tipa [nomaintainer, v1.3] => texlive-fonts-recommended
 - tex-utopia [nomaintainer, unversioned] => texlive-fonts-recommended

I'm not sure what's going on with the luatex port; it's an older
version than in texlive, and it installs only binaries. I suspect it
should be replaced by texlive-luatex, but this needs further review.

Also found that tex-beamerposter and lcdf-typetools have newer versions
than in TeXLive 2010, despite being nomaintainer, so perhaps we should
use them instead of the ones installed by texlive.

And just for completeness, the following ports install binaries that
texlive can also provide. In most cases, we've got these as separate
ports for good reason, as they're also useful for non-texlive users:
  detex, latexdiff, latexmk, makejvf, ps2eps, psutils, t1utils

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/