ui_msg to notes

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 11 11:17:02 PST 2010

On 11 Feb 2010, at 18:31, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> Yes, the notes feature allows a user to pull them up from the portfile at any time rather than having to watch the output from the install command.
>
> "port notes PORTNAME" should demonstrate it.
>
> In your case, you need to change ui_msg to notes, rather than combining a bunch of ui_msgs since you have it as one string.  You'll also want it outside of any blocks, as the user will call it anytime rather than just during build.  Note: the notes will be output during the installation automatically.
>
> On Feb 11, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> Can you elaborate on that?  I have always used ui_msg, is there a change to use notes now over that, or there there conditions where one is preferred over the other?

Just did a
port notes installed
on my admittedly fairly small installation, but the only port that had any notes is

python26 has the following notes:
  To fully complete your installation and make python 2.6 the default, please run:
   	sudo port install python_select
   	sudo python_select python26

I've always wondered how to retrieve the useful "instructions" that go through at the end of an install, eg how to load/unload a startup item other than by uninstalling and reinstalling the port, or remembering to make a clipping of the Terminal window etc.

However, when I did
port notes all | grep -v no\ notes

Just these ports had notes:

aspell
color-theme-mode.el
dnsmasq
geant4
hunspell
mkhexgrid
mod_fcgid
python26
TeXShop
ZendFranework

(Yes I could have done
port notes all | grep has\ the\ following\ notes
but I wanted to see the contents of the notes as well)

Mark