What is wrong with my download location

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Feb 11 17:42:54 PST 2010

On Feb 11, 2010, at 5:05 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> The URL's are always some long mess like this:
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/assp/files/ASSP%20Installation/ASSP%201.6.1.3/ASSP_1.6.1.3-Install.zip
>>
>> $sudo port -dv fetch is not verbose enough, I get this
>> --->  Attempting to fetch ASSP_1.6.5.4-Install.zip from http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/assp
>> % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
>>                                Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
>> 100  551k  100  551k    0     0   262k      0  0:00:02  0:00:02 --:--:--  760k
>>
>> I would like to know the first resource it asked for, the redirects it must have ran into, etc.
>> Thanks.  I swear, after this, I will never ask about downloads again :)
>
> You're not going crazy--that file didn't exist earlier today, the developer placed a copy of it in the correct directory since you started trying.
> The URL from the MacPorts dump is as it shows:
> http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/assp/ASSP_1.6.5.4-Install.zip

How nice of them to reply to my email asking what was going on...
Thank you for pointing that out.

I think I am starting to get this... the files are not at:
http://one.of.the.mirrors.sf.ehatever.example.com/assp/filename.zip

I can use curl to investigate:
$curl http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/assp/ASSP_1.6.5.4-Install.zip

I get a 302 moved,
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/assp/ASSP_1.6.5.4-Install.zip?download&failedmirror=internap.dl.sourceforge.net

So, the SF.net admin puts the files wherever they want, I guess SF.net has a past history of files existing in a certain place, and they issue 302 redirects to keep things working?  Or is it up to the admin to define the redirects?

Oh well, it works, and thank you Jeremy, Ryan, and Brad, I am going to rely on the soureforge:assp method, and hope it holds up.  Back to the p5's.