Macports installer endless loop

dreamcat four dreamcat4 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 09:35:43 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> installer: Running package scripts….....
>
> repeated many times. The installer prints this message; we have no control over what messages the installer prints. I have a feeling it prints this message repeatedly of its own accord, and I don't think it means that it is running our scripts multiple times. Rather, our postflight script simply takes a long time (because we run port selfupdate), and the installer is telling you that the script is still running.
>
> selfupdate can fail, if our rsync server is down (rare) or your network doesn't support rsync connections (relatively common).

Ah okay, so probably these rsync processes will timeout. I guess its
allright, as long as when the installer does fluff up, it exits and
prints out some appropriate error message.

As for Apple, its only an observation but the Xcode mpkg installer has
no such problem, and it provides very reasonable output logging, over
a period of about 10-20 minutes installation time. I am not familiar
with the details of Apple xcode pkg installer, and therefore can't
tell you how Apple achieves that wheras you are getting this
constantly repeating msg.

Anyway, if you are running port selfupdate, which is known to take a
long time, then why not print that to the log before executing the
command?

dreamcat4
dreamcat4 at gmail.com