[MacPorts] #22790: Updated swi-prolog portfile for version 5.8.2

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 17 01:44:36 PST 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 03:36, Jan Wielemaker wrote:

> I've been doing a bit of investigation on the real dependencies for
> Macports X11.  Seems we only really need libjpeg; we can use the
> native mac versions for anything else.  The problem with Xft appeared
> a missing pkgconfig path.

Speaking for MacPorts, we do not want to use native Mac versions of e.g. the X11 libraries for the reasons explained in our FAQ:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#ownlibs

> All in all, I used the Portfile skeleton (@VERSION@ and @MD5@ are
> replaced by my Makefile) attached.  Sofar this seems to work fine,
> in particular for creating binaries.
>
> Except for the download location, the same Portfile works for the
> stable and development releases.

You can do what you like for creating your own binaries of course, but speaking again for MacPorts, we don't need a template. We need an actual portfile. And we have one in the Subversion repository. The fact you're using a template file perhaps begins to explain the several problems we've had committing updates for swi-prolog ports over the past months, where the diffs received don't always match up with what's in the repository, and don't always indicate changes you actually want us to make. When you want to submit an update to the ports, please do not use a template file. Instead, please take the current portfile for that port from the Subversion repository, make a copy of it, edit one of them, and submit a unified diff from the original to the modified version.