[63831] trunk/dports/graphics/InsightToolkit/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 17 17:36:54 PST 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 18:09, Darren Weber wrote:

> Latest revision has disabled parallel builds in the port.

Ok great.

> Interesting, did not know about the 'notes' facility.  As Ryan indicated, the ui_msg is to advise users that the build and install will take a very long time.
>
> I agree that -o and -k are not commonly used by users, but I've found that this port can fail during java wrapping near the very end of the build process (due to lack of resources in the java-vm).  It's painful to start all over again, so my hope is that -o and -k will help to recover a build failure.  Is there a better way of recovery from a build failure?

Yes -- simply try the same command again. The main reason I can think of why a subsequent attempt would work if the first attempt didn't would be software that doesn't specify build dependencies properly in the Makefile and thus has problems building in parallel; turning off the parallel build fixes this. I believe I to encountered trouble near the end of building InsightToolkit, with an error I didn't understand, and retrying allowed it to install. I don't remember if I was building in parallel or not.

"-o" means honor a statefile older than the portfile. This is only useful for port maintainers, who want to, say, test changes in the destroot phase of a port without having to go through the configure and build phases again. It's not a flag a user should use.

"-k" means don't clean the work area after the port is successfully installed. So this switch doesn't pertain to a user trying to install InsightToolkit either.

> Perhaps suggesting that users progress in steps, e.g.:
>
> $ sudo port -d configure InsightToolkit {variants}
> $ sudo port -d build InsightToolkit {variants}
> $ sudo port -d destroot InsightToolkit {variants}
> $ sudo port -d install InsightToolkit {variants}
>
> (Perhaps leave out the destroot and go from build to install?)

I can't see any reason to tell users to do that.

> If it fails in the build phase, yet it got about 90% complete, would it keep the current build results if you ran the build phase again?  e.g.:
>
> $ sudo port -d configure InsightToolkit {variants}
> $ sudo port -d build InsightToolkit {variants}
> $ # Oh, shoot!  It failed at 90% complete.
> $ sudo port -d build InsightToolkit {variants}
> $ # Phew!  It picked up where it left off and completed - yipee.
> $ sudo port -d destroot InsightToolkit {variants}
> $ sudo port -d install InsightToolkit {variants}

Yes, unless the portfile has changed.