2010 the year for package builds? [was Re: Is it time to start regression testing yet?]

C. Florian Ebeling florian.ebeling at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:28:14 PST 2010

> Bill, I'd need to work with you to tweak the database and deployment host
> info. Florian, do you have a separate process that's injecting the build
> results into the system?

Yes, of course :) That part is the mpbuildserver package, which in
turn depends on mpab (MacPorts Autobuild).

http://github.com/febeling/mpbuildserver
http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/contrib/mpab
(web: http://trac.macports.org/browser/contrib/mpab)

The Rails app can run somewhere centrally, and the mpbuildserver
(which could be named buildclient, buildbox or buildslave more aptly,
but that's another discussion) runs on a Mac OS X machine dedicated to
building the packages. mpbuildserver polls the svn repo and checks out
of changes are found. Those get copied into the mpab chroot and the
build is initiated. Once done, the logs and some metadata get send to
the portmill API for storing. Quite straightforward.

mpab is Bryan Blackburns work, with only a few small changes by me to
make the build server task easier or faster. It creates a chroot
environment and runs port commands inside that, so that the host
system does not get compromised if builds go awry.

Florian

--
Florian Ebeling
florian.ebeling at gmail.com