mysql5 server and plain

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 6 21:23:29 PST 2010

On Jan 6, 2010, at 21:57, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On a side note, you mention the mysql directories, which need to be _mysql owned, which I also find to be the case, is this done in the port or is this something the user is supposed to do?  The MAMP page has the user doing it, if the port already does it, the MAMP page is redundant.

That particular directive on the MAMP page may well be redundant. I did not write that page and have not attempted to follow the instructions myself from a fresh install. The mysql5-server port does the following:

    xinstall -m 755 -o ${mysqluser} -g ${mysqluser} -d \
        ${destroot}${dbdir} \
        ${destroot}${prefix}/var/log/${mysql} \
        ${destroot}${prefix}/var/run/${mysql}

So the directories should definitely be getting changed to the correct owner by the port automatically.

> You bring up great points, and I do not see any real perfect solutions to them.  What about having a mysql-client port, that is obvious, then the mysql-server port, and that is it.  That makes the most sense to me.  I would make the server depend on the client, that is a liberty I would take, because they sort of go hand in hand.

This was originally suggested as well; see the ticket. One big reason I didn't do it at the time is that MacPorts did not have the "replaced_by" command so it was perhaps impossible to effect a smooth transition for a user who already had the mysql5 port installed to the new mysql5-client port. This reason no longer applies, but the mysql5 port installs both the client and server software, so it's not really accurate to name it "mysql5-client".

> I agree with your comments about Apache, add to this, none of the plists are set to run, so they just sit there, the user had to load them.  I do not see any reason to avoid putting them in place.  Disc space is cheap, I could literally afford to store the plists for every MacPorts user there is :)

Yes, certainly disk space was never the reason for this variant. Plists are only a few K. The variant was added to apache2 in r22490 to "[prevent] the automatic startup of the Apache web server" but as you've pointed out, the server does not automatically start up; you have to activate the plist manually. So that reason is not valid.

> There are a handful of softwares out there, seemingly the ones most people are going to be coming here for, that are just too hard for the average user to get up and running, I want to fix that.  Have you seen a windows user get a AMP stack running, one download, one exe, and they are up and running, with a GUI app to go with it.  This bothers me on so many levels, that they have this ease, on a platform that neither the A, the M, or the P were developed for when they first came out.

There are probably other methods of getting this software on a Mac that are "easier". Certainly apache and php already comes with Mac OS X so that's easy, and there's a binary of MySQL from the manufacturer. MacPorts gives you more options, and with that comes more complexity.