License option

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Jan 9 11:30:09 PST 2010

On 2010-1-10 06:14 , nox wrote:
> I see a lot of ports with license options like "GPLv2/LGPLv2". The "v" and "/" seem ugly to me, especially with licenses like Apache, where we end up with "Apachev2". Shouldn't we write something more beautiful like:
>
> license     LGPL-2 Apache-2 MIT BSD DWTFYWL-42

Whether that is more beautiful is no doubt subjective. :-)

I think the important thing is to make it easily machine-readable so
that an automated binary-building system can know which ports we are
allowed to distribute in binary form, while keeping it human readable.

Note that no structure is currently imposed on the license field.

- Josh