Portfile for GEANT4

Cristiano Fontana cristiano.fontana at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 11:48:44 PST 2010

Hello,
I am having problems writing a Portfile of GEANT4. Since these are my first Portfiles, I am not an expert so I need some help.

GEANT4 is a toolkit for simulating the interaction of radiation through matter.
It is one of the most important piece of software for Particle Physicist because it is a very complex tool that can simulate about anything.
Unfortunately it has a weird configure script that aconfigures, builds and install everything. So to install it is not just a standard configure; make; make install (why the heck do not they use standard tools?!).
I spent the last days working on this without any success and I am getting a little bit frustrated.

What I am trying is to execute their configure script through port so I defined the following phases:

build {
    catch { exec /bin/sh -c "cd ${worksrcpath}; ${worksrcpath}/Configure -build -d -f ${worksrcpath}/config.sh" }
}

destroot {
    catch { exec /bin/sh -c "cd ${worksrcpath}; ${worksrcpath}/Configure -install" }
}

But this way I have no output during building so I am not able to figure out if it is working.
As a matter of fact I tried to build it, but it is taking hours and hours...

	Thanks in advance, Cristiano