License option

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 13 14:37:39 PST 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 16:22, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2010-1-14 08:55 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> The terms of the GPL state that any later version may be used.
>
> No they don't.

I was under the impression that they do.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Section 14 of the GPL v3 says:

Each version is given a distinguishing version number. If the Program specifies that a certain numbered version of the GNU General Public License “or any later version” applies to it, you have the option of following the terms and conditions either of that numbered version or of any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. If the Program does not specify a version number of the GNU General Public License, you may choose any version ever published by the Free Software Foundation.